October 16, 2007

Girlfriends Ep.3 (10/15)

Girlfriends
Episode 3: Oct. 15



Lynn agrees to do a free performance at an "Environmental Consciousness" rally. She then receives a phone call from her manager that she's been booked for the House of Blues on the same night. She becomes faced with a moral dilemma and asks herself (and her buddies), "If I don't keep my word, what kind of person am I?" How about a broke person? Maya, Joan, and myself all agreed that advancing her career at the HOB was more important and there was no need for discussion. She's the one that said she went her whole life with "no direction, no real career, no real money, and when you get a call like this, HELLLLOOO, you take it." I think she pretty much summed it up. However, I didn't think she was going to go through with it. I was surprised that she chose the HOB. I'm so glad she's getting serious about her career.

Maya views a video blog on Jabari's myspace page of him dancing around rapping about "why the b**ches love dem some playa" (clearly a freestyle). The video was hilarious but of course this wasn't the point. Maya has a heart to heart about how she's not raising a son to disrespect women and how he shouldn't even want a girl who'll respond to that." His response, "you mean like auntie Joan and Lynn."

So we all knew where this was going. No more Girlfriends using the "B" word as a term of endearment. So they're going to stop saying it so the kids will stop saying it, and the $10 B**ch" jar is born. Say the word, you lose ten bucks. Did you get that ladies??? OK CW, I can see your little message in there, but guess what...it kinda loses it's potency when two days later America's Next Top Model comes on the same channel with up to ten different women calling each other b**ches the entire show! Including Tyra and all her crew. Sometimes it's used as "I hate these b's...and sometimes it's just what they call each other. "Come on b**ches....Tyra mail!"

I don't feel the need to call my friends b**ches to let them know I love them. I have plenty of other names I call them and they get the picture. But that's just me.


No comments: