September 10, 2007

MySpace Kids

Story on Dateline - I just thought it was interestingMySpace:

Kids Posting Too Much Information

Shannon Sullivan, teenager: Everyone has a MySpace and everyone wants a My Space.

It’s free, easy to join, and easy to message its members. Kids chat about everything from school, to sports, to fundraisers for Katrina victims. It all seems like innocent fun, and it can be. But many parents and teens are unaware there are hidden dangers.

Shannon Sullivan: I honestly just thought it was my friends looking at it

Which is why Shannon disclosed so much on her space. She put her name, her address, and where she went to school— everything about how to find Shannon was on that site.

Rob Stafford, Dateline correspondent: Were you worried about doing that?

Shannon Sullivan: I didn’t think twice about it.

Shannon did think twice about something else: The rules on my space say you’re supposed to be at least 14 years old.

Stafford: How old did you say you were?

Shannon Sullivan: I think it was 18.

Stafford: You think it was 18.

Sullivan: I was 13 at the time.

Shannon’s mother Margaret happens to run the computer system at a private grammar school. She has parental controls on her home computer, and several months ago, MySpace popped up on one of the reports Margaret gets on the Web sites Shannon has visited.

Margaret Sullivan: I was just very upset. Somebody looking for a kid could find a kid very easily.

1 comment:

Chikee said...

My husband doesn't even like me to be one myspace and i'm well over 13. I actually think i'm a bit too old for it actually. The cut off should be 25 :-) I can't help it though, all of my friends have pages, and now that i'm not working i have time to update it and find more obscure people I went to high school and college with. I wouldn't want my daughter on it though. Too many pedos out there.