September 22, 2007

America's Next Top Model Ep.1

ANTM - cwtv
Episode 1: September 19th

Tyra's Back for ANTM Cycle 9, along with Mr. and Ms. J and 33 semi-finalists on a Caribbean cruise. Promptly greeted by Ms. J, the women took part in their first runway challenge in which Ms. J let it be known "you have to work it with whatever you're wearing." In this case...a life jacket.



After a beach photo shoot and a speech titled "Why Tyra Should Choose Me," only the strongest 13 survived. Tyra vowed that her mission is to "expand what America considers beautiful" by choosing girls who are "less obviously pretty." Looks to me like she did just the opposite because this is the first season that I didn't look at half the ladies and wonder just what the hell Tyra was smoking when she chose some of them.


Here are the Finalists:

Ambreal(19). The wild and crazy Howard University student. She definitely has her own style and a huge personality. Tyra compared her to Naomi but I don't see her making it to the top 5.

Bianca(18). She made quite the entrance announcing that "The Champ is Here." Tyra feels she has potential once they get rid of her $25 weave. She's kind of average looking but a good makeover will do her some justice

Chantal(19). The girl who "has something no other girl has but doesn't know what it is." She wowed the judges with her fashion knowledge but I wasn't impressed (especially with her rehearsed answers). I think she's fairly average but Mr. J said "everything she did was naturally modelesque."

Ebony(20). What's a reality show without the Black Crazy B**ch? (Not supporting the term, just acknowledging the stereotype). But Tyra broke that hard shell of hers with the snap of a finger and we find out that this girl is in some serious pain. (Damn Tyra, you've really been takin' lessons from Oprah huh?) That still didn't stop the judges from pointing out that she needs a "High. Fashion. Ass. Whoopin." I agree. I'm not quite seeing why she's a finalist anyway

Heather(21). Diagnosed with Asperger's disorder (a mild form of autism) and ADHD at 13, she's quite a unique choice for the top 13. Her body is shaped kind of awkward but her beach shot was OFF THE HOOK! Her only problem is her runway. She's just a bit too awkward. Don't sleep on her though!

Janet(22). A bikini waxer who gave Tyra a "simulated kitty cat wax" and a not so simulated smack on the ass. Ms. J said she "loves a girl who doesn't need a makeover." Definitely in my top two favorites. Be prepared to see her at the top, she's a natural.

Jenah(18). The self-proclaimed b**ch who has a little more confidence than I feel is necessary. This must be one of the "less obviously pretty" ones. She looks like a hillbilly and her placement in the top 13 is questionable.

Kimberly(20). She's in the "less obviously pretty" category with the above mentioned Jenah. Not that she doesn't have potential, she just doesn't stand out to me right now.

Lisa(20). This natural beauty has it all and is hands down my favorite. A (bikini wearing) exotic dancer who lost a few cool points when she gave Saleisha a lap dance. Lisa...Black girls don't give each other lap dances! However, she's got serious potential and I can't imagine what would keep her from going to the top 3.

Mila(20). The ridiculously chipper life of the party who believes crying is a "waste of time." Well I believe she's a bit mousy and plain but her pictures turned out nice. If those skinny twins from last season can make it to the top 5...she can.

Saleisha(21). This seasons' Mini Tyra. As a former attendant of Tyra's TZONE camp, Tyra stated that she'll be harder on her. She's absolutely adorable and her beach photo was beautiful. She's going to the top.

Sarah(20). The "Thinner" Plus Size Model who thought it was cool to entertain the judges with an accordion straw paper up her nose. Mr. J thinks she'll be a good representative of the "Normal" Size women. But it doesn't really matter, she won't last that long.

Victoria(20). A student who introduced herself as "The Nerd from Yale" and looks like, well...a nerd. A really big nerd who got sick and threw up on the ship. Nonetheless, she has a very youthful look and I think she may be underestimated by the others.

So...this looks like a really great group of women here. It's a little early for my "Gotta Go" predictions, but my favorites for the top 5 are Lisa, Janet, Saleisha, and Heather & Mila might get on my list later.



Tyra's Rundown of the Lovely Ladies




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review Tamara, I enjoyed reading it! Thanks again for stopping off at my site, and if you need any help blogging, let me know.

~Alex

www.alexlandis.com

Chikee said...

Hey Tam, we talked about this earlier, but I want to go on record to say my fav is Janet. She looks like a bird but I bet she photographs well. Ambreal from Howard (my dear alma mater) is annoying and I agree with Mr J, she looks a bit short. Mila needs to hit the gym, STAT. I think Ebony looks like a model and had a lot of potential, although it's evident that she will be the resident bitch of the cast. Bianca is hood-fab but has the bone structure of a model. A few etiquette classes and an intense makeover will do wonders for her. I'll speak on the rest later!